Preserving HFD History
 
By Member Alan Zale
May 3, 2018
 

A deluge deck gun from a 1928 Hartsdale Fire truck found a new home in front of Hartsdale Fire Headquarters, Station 2. The deck gun was last used in 1978. In addition to the deck gun a new sign was also recently installed. Both pieces will give a fresh look to the front of fire headquarters. The deck gun will also help to preserve the history of the Hartsdale Fire Department as it contains a time capsule in its base with information about the current department.

Late last year, René Dupré, a 45-year member of the Hartsdale Volunteer Fire Company, discovered the deck gun and spent the next five months restoring it. During that time, René polished the chrome, plugged holes in the deck gun to keep the rain out, and brushed and painted the base. He also designed the fastening system to mount it to the rock in front of fire headquarters on West Hartsdale Avenue.

René’s final addition to the project was adding a time capsule in the base that includes a 2014 picture of the department, a list of names of all current commissioners, career and volunteer members.

The installation process included drilling and chopping a 10x10x5 inch deep hole into solid rock to mount the base. René, (wearing sun glasses) and his long time friend Skip Russell, a member of Mazeppa Engine Company No. 2 in Nyack, NY, completed the final installation on Monday, April 30, 2018. Photos by Alan Zale

 
No Caption
No Caption
 
No Caption
No Caption
 
No Caption
No Caption
 
No Caption
No Caption